Academic Applications International traces its academic legacy to the founding of Systems Engineering at Virginia Tech in 1968 by action of the Board of Visitors. AAII’s corporate lineage began a decade later, when State Corporation Commission incorporation was obtained in 1979. By its 40th anniversary in 2019, AAII will have transitioned almost completely to web-based modes of communication to facilitate collaboration worldwide.
AAII seeks to advance the academic and the academic application aspects of Systems Thinking, Engineering, and Analysis (STEA), sometimes called STEM for grownups. Collaboration is under way with academically inclined individuals, academic institutions, professional societies, private enterprises, and public agencies based on mutual interest in advancing STEA “know how” for application within “know what” domains.
The primary purpose of this web site is to showcase and offer selected academic and technical materials that may be of value for use by individuals at no cost. Access to these materials for sponsored instructional use is available at low cost.
Our objective is to generate the best possible client value by advancing systems thinking in:
- SE Academic Program Development
- SE Instructional and Consulting Support
- Applied SE Research and Development
- Academic and Technical Publications
- Computer-Based Process Modeling
AAII strives to provide superior application outcomes through applied systems thinking in:
- Design for Operational Effectiveness
- Supportability Engineering and Management
- Life-Cycle Costing and Design for Affordability
- Logistics Engineering and Management
- Engineering Process Development